Updated September 16th, 2015: QuickBooks just released their systems requirements for the 2016 versions of QuickBooks. It covers Pro, Premier, Mac and Accountant versions, as well as Enterprise Solutions 16.0. But when you take a look at the operating systems that are officially supported, there is one glaring omission – Windows 10. Let’s take a look at the systems requirements for QuickBooks 2016 on your PC and see if in fact you can run it on the new Windows 10 operating system.
Will QuickBooks 2016 work and run on Windows 10?
Although Windows 10 is not yet officially listed in the system requirements for the new QuickBooks release, Intuit and many individuals that have tested it have reported that, on the most part, it works without any major issues. On the matter, Intuit has publicly stated that “based on initial testing” no issues were found when running the latest versions of QuickBooks in the Windows 10 environment. QuickBooks 2014 and older versions are not officially supported but have been reported to be working fine as well (at least back to the 2013 version, the last version that is still being supported by Intuit).
It’s just important to remember that, if you encounter any issues, you first check to see if your .NET Framework 3.5 is enabled. It’s usually disabled by default from Microsoft so be sure to turn it on. You should also try re-installing your version of QuickBooks 2016 once Windows 10 is installed to see if that solves your issues. Here are the full details on this posted in Intuit’s help pages.
Can I revert back to my previous version of Windows?
If you find that your new version of QuickBooks Pro 2016 or Premier 2016 does not work well in Windows 10 (either crashes or some important functions cease to exist), then you can revet back to your previous version of Windows free of charge as long as you do so within 30 days from the date that you upgraded. The details on how to do this are posted here at microsoft.com.
How many computers can I install QuickBooks 2016 on?
Remember that regardless of the version of Windows that you have, you can only install QuickBooks 2016 Desktop on up to two computers. However, only one user can use it per license/seat that you have and you won’t be able to run both copies simultaneously on a single license. We’ve put together all the details that you need to know about the number of computers you can use both QB desktop and Online for and what you need to know when adding new users to your company’s file.
Operating systems that are currently supported
Here’s are the operating systems that are officially supported by QuickBooks Pro and Premier:
- Windows 8.1, all editions including 32 and 64-bit.
- Windows 7, all editions including 32 and 64-bit.
- Windows Vista (SP2 or later), all editions including 32 and 64-bit.
- Windows Server 2012, Small Business Server 2011 and 2008.
Hardware and operating system requirements
Here are the full computer hardware requirements for all PC versions of QuickBooks 2016:
- 2.4 GHz processor minimum.
- 4 GB RAM minimum, 8GB RAM Recommended.
- Server RAM Requirements:
- 0-5 Users: 8GB RAM.
- 10+ Users: 12GB RAM.
- 15+ Users: 16GB RAM.
- 20+ Users 20+GB RAM.
- 4x CD-ROM drive required for CD installations.
- Display optimized for 1024 x 768 screen resolution or higher with up to 2 Extended monitors.
- Best optimized for Default DPI setting (96 DPI or 100%). Additionally, medium DPI (120 DPI or 110%) is supported to ensure an optimal experience for 110% scaling.
- Internet access is required.
- Windows: U.S. version with Regional Settings set to English (United States) with keyboard setting to U.S. only.
- 2.5 GB of disk space (additional space required for data files)
- Additional software: 250 MB for Microsoft .NET 4.0 Runtime, provided on the QuickBooks CD
- Twice the size of the largest File set to back up + 100MB or twice the size to restore. The space is only required from the work folder LocalApplicationData+”Intuit\Intuit Data Protect”
As you experiencing any QuickBooks compatibility issues and Windows 10?
Let us know the issues that you’re seeing and we will do our best to help.